Acts and Rules
The Constitution of India provides the basic legal framework for the legislative authority between union and constituent states. The 42nd Amendment of the Constitution has placed education in the concurrent list, making it a joint responsibility of the center and the states. In order to implement educational policies and plans effectively, both the central and state governments enact laws from time to time. In Tamil Nadu the following Acts, Codes and Regulations provide the legal foundation in the state.
• Tamil Nadu Recognised Private Schools (Regulation) Act, 1973.
• Tamil Nadu Recognised Private Schools (Regulation) Rules, 1974.
Rules, Codes and Manuals (Non-Statutory):
• Tamil Nadu Education Rules, 1892.
• Code of Regulation for Anglo-Indian Schools.
• Grant-in-Aid Code, 1956 (Inspection code).